Missile Test Sites > Cape Canaveral Air Force Station >
Launch Complexes 9-10
Launch Complex Highlights
- September 1953 - The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
- Launch complexes 9 and 10 were built to
support the Navaho winged intercontinental missile
program and utilized the same blockhouse; the two pads
featured different launching methods.
Initial focus was on Pad 9 and the blockhouse. The pad
was 450' from the blockhouse. The oval-shaped pad (115'
radius) and a 2-story reinforced concrete pedestal (66'
8" by 30') with a foldaway erector gantry. The
pre-launch shelter constructed of metal on wheels
covered by a canvas awning
- January 1955 - Air Force and contractors occupied
- 1955 - Pad 10 construction started
- Pad 10 is located some 800' from the blockhouse on
hexagonally shaped reinforced concrete pad, 200 x 250'.
The missile set on a portable Navaho launch stand and
was serviced by a movable service tower 63' tall. Rails
were used to move the service tower
- 1956 - Pad 10 construction completed
- 29 June 1956 - Final acceptance of both pads
- 6 November 1956 to 18 November 1958 - Total of 11
Navaho XSM-64 vehicles were launched from Launch Complex
9. The last two flights were RISE (Research Into
- No Navaho launches from Launch Complex 10;
only static tests on a mobile launcher.
- Summer 1958 - Pad 10
reassigned to support the Jason research rocket on a
- 14 August 1958 - First Jason missile launched from
Pad 3 or 10
- 14 August 1958 to 2 September 1958 - Total of 6 Jason were launched
from Launch Complexes 3 and 10
- Late 1958 - Pad 10 modified to
launch the Alpha Draco. A concrete flame deflector was
poured and tie-down points were installed.
- 16 February 1959 to 27 April 1959 - Total of 3 Alpha
Draco launched from Pad 10
- 1959 - Complex 10 was demolished to
make room for Minuteman Launch Complexes 31 and 32
- 1962 - Blockhouse served as the
Administration and Engineering Building
- May 1971 - Pad 9 abandoned
- 1978 to 2001 - Blockhouse converted
to house the 2nd Combat Communications Group